- Required APIs
- Publish Workflow
- Publish Provider Extension Point
The Publish Provider extension point allows users to build Titanium Mobile projects and publish the output to a target of their choice (for example, enterprise app store, upload service, or ftp server). The extension leverages the Titanium Mobile packaging process for iOS, Android and Mobile Web. Publishing utilizes menus, preferences and a publish wizard to guide users through the publishing process. Publish providers are able to extend nearly all aspects of the publish process, providing a customized user experience for Titanium Studio users.
A sample publish provider implementation is referenced in this document and can be downloaded here: https://github.com/appcelerator/titanium_studio_sdk/tree/master/samples/publish/plugins
Knowledge of Eclipse plugin development is necessary to develop a plugin that extends the built-in publish functionality available for Titanium projects. Developers will utilize Eclipse and Titanium Studio extension points.
To implement the publish extension, the only requirement is that there is an available API to which files can be published. Additional APIs can be integrated to enable creating new user accounts, creating new publish targets, or management of the publish target.
- Menus are contributed to Titanium Mobile projects to initiate the publish wizard, access shortcuts for management, and update any preferences associated with the publish provider. The menus are contributed using eclipse extension points. See the "Contribute to Publish Menus" for more information.
- The publish wizard walks the user through the publish operation, requesting data from the user. The first page of the publish wizard, the Target page, allows users to specify which platforms and target to publish to. The available platforms and publish target is defined in the extension point and the IPublishTarget subclass. See the "IPublishType and IPublishTarget" section for more information.
- The next page of the publish wizard is the Configuration page. This page allows publish providers to request information specific to their publish operation. If no additional information is required, the Configuration page is not shown. See the "Configuration Page" section for more information.
- The next page of the wizard is the Platform page. The page displayed is determined by the selected platform on the Target page. This page is specific to how projects are built using Titanium, so these pages are not customizable.
- The final page of the wizard is the Summary page. This page displays the settings for the publish operation. There is a section in on the page that allows publish providers to display settings specific to the publish provider. See the "Summary Page" section for more information.
Clicking the "Publish" button will initiate the publish operation. The publish operation consists of two parts: the Titanium build and the distribution operation. The Titanium build is performed by Titanium Studio. The result of the build is stored at a specified location. Publish providers are expected to implement the distribution operation, which is specific to the purpose of the publish provider. The distribution is performed in the following method:
The publish operation is performed as an org.eclipse.debug.core.ILaunch, utilizing an org.eclipse.debug.core.ILaunchConfiguration to store information.
Publish Provider Extension Point
The Publish Provider extension point defines how publishing is performed for a particular provider. The publish provider extension point is
The Publish Provider definition is defined as follows:
Since: Extension point
Description: This extension point allows the contribution of publishing to a specific target type. The extension defines how users will create, register, and manage publish targets of the particular type. The extension is used to Publish a Titanium Mobile project to the publish target.
- id - The identifier of the provider
- class - The class that defines the publish type. At minimum it is expected to implement IPublishType, but most implementations should simply extend AbstractPublishType
- name - The name of the provider that is presented to users.
- description - A description of the provider
- url - The url of a page containing information about the publish provider
- icon - Icon used to represent the publish type in menus
- wizard_icon - Icon used in Wizard and Dialogs related to the publish type
- createPublishTargetUrl - The url of a page to create a new publish target of this type
- registerPublishTargetDialog - The dialog class that extends
- preferencePageId - Preference page id for this publish type
Used to specify a supported platform
- name - Platform name
Implement IPublishType and IPublishTarget
Provide an implementation of IPublishTarget. This defines an object that contains information to describe the publish target. Subclassing com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.PublishTarget will provide a more consistent behavior to other publish providers. See com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.sample.SamplePublishTarget for an example implementation:
Provide an implementation of IPublishType. This defines how the publication process works for the provider. It also defines the UI elements used in the Publish Wizard. Subclassing com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.AbstractPublishType will provide a more consistent behavior to other publish providers. See com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.sample.SamplePublishType for an example implementation:
Contribute to Publish Menus
Menus are contributed to the Titanium Publish menu. A base implementation of ContributionItem is provided to provide a consistent look and feel to the menus. Providers should subclass com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.ui.PublishContributionItem to provide custom behavior.
Contributing to the publish menu is accomplished using the Eclipse org.eclipse.ui.menus extension point. Following is an example menu contribution for the Sample menus:
The following Titanium-specific reference definitionIds can be used:
All the subsequent steps are used in the definition of the PublishProvider. Additional information about the extension point can be found in the reference at the top of the page. Following is the extension for the Sample publish provider:
Provide Publish Target Dialog
The publish target dialog provides the UI for creation and modification of a publish target. The dialog class has to subclass com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.ui.RegisterPublishTargetDialog. The default implementation requests a name for the publish target.
Providers should customize this dialog if additional information is required to implement a IPublishTarget. Providers should also provide validation for the fields they are requesting. The Sample provider defines a custom dialog, com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.sample.ui.SamplePublishTargetDialog. The dialog is defined in the Publish Provider extension point using the registerPublishTargetDialog attribute
This is the Sample publish target dialog:
Implementors wanting customized behavior should override the following methods:
- org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog#createDialogArea(org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Composite) to add custom UI
- com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.ui.RegisterPublishTargetDialog#validatePublishTarget() to provide custom validation of target
- com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.ui.RegisterPublishTargetDialog#savePublishTarget() to provide external saving of the target
A preference page can be defined to allow the management of the publish targets. The preference page is defined using the Eclipse org.eclipse.ui.preferencePages extension point. An abstract implementation of a Publish Provider preference page is provided: com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.preferences.AbstractPublishTargetPreferencePage.
The id of the preference page should be defined in the Publish Provider extension point using the preferencePageId attribute. The Sample provider defines the preferencePage using the following extension:
Implementors wanting a customized look should override the following methods:
com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.preferences.AbstractPublishTargetPreferencePage#createPublishTargetTableColumns()- specifies what columns are displayed in the table
The publish wizard can be customized in two different ways: custom configuration wizard page and custom summary wizard page.
The custom configuration wizard page allows providers to request specific data from the user during publish. The UI for the page is defined in the IPublishType
createConfigurationControl() methods. An example contribution is demonstrated in the Sample provider class com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.sample.SamplePublishType:
The custom summary wizard page allows providers to display information retrieved in the configuration wizard page. The UI for the page is defined using IPublishType
createSummaryComponent(). An example contribution is demonstrated in the Sample provider class com.appcelerator.titanium.publish.sample.SamplePublishType:
To distribute your provider into an existing Titanium Studio instance, it is recommended to do the following:
- Create a feature and associate with the new plugin. More info
- Export the feature: Right-click on the feature project and select Export...Then Plug-In Development->Deployable features. Export the feature as an archive.
- In your existing Titanium Studio instance, Use Help > Install New Software.... In the dialog, select Add.. and specify the archive that was generated from the previous step.
- Uncheck the category option to view the new feature. Follow the prompts to install